Even if you aren’t a marketer by trade, it’s always helpful to know some basics or find ways to gain an edge in your budget. This is especially true for small businesses, who have limited budgets and staff, but still need to do it all.
We thought it’d be helpful to share some free tools we use ourselves, which have saved us hundreds (if not more) on many projects. And if you need help implementing any strategy or digital channel, we’re happy to help!
If you find this page useful, you can thank us by sharing this with your connections on social media or on your own website! And if you find something you think we should add, feel free to contact us and let us know.
Online free tools we love and use:
- Basic photo editing: befunky.com (PicMonkey is a cheap option with more power, as well)
- Image compression: tinyjpg.com (or check out tinypng.com for transparent images)
- PDF conversion: ilovepdf.com
- Website speed test: webpagetest.org
- Google PageSpeed Insights: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/
- Great SEO insights: SEMrush free version (great for an individual website)
Many of these tools are great for digital marketing, as they can help identify issues, track progress, and help you optimize for some easy wins. For instance, we’ve re-sized a client’s photos to fit the space they were being used (instead of its full size) using BeFunky, then compressed the images using TinyJPG and uploaded them to the client’s site.
The result? Per WebPageTest, we dropped the page loading time by nearly two seconds – which matters to Google’s ranking algorithms!
Great marketing training for small business owners:
- Hubspot: Inbound sales
- Hubspot: Facebook marketing with a low budget
- Google Analytics: Analytics Academy
- Facebook: Blueprint courses for your presence + advertising
- Moz: Introduction to SEO
- Cousera: Marketing Analytics in Theory
- The Pedowitz Group: Revenue Marketing Basics
- The Pedowitz Group: Key Performance Indicators
(Free) Places you should have your small business listed already:
Curious why? It’s easy to start! Learn more here.
- Google My Business
- Bing Places
We’re big fans of being students. It’s why we love what we do, because we get to be a student of our client’s needs, audience, and products – and then apply industry-leading knowledge to the problems.
There’s hundreds, if not thousands, of available training, courses, etc. out there. But we’ve recommended a select few to friends and clients interested in learning more. We hope they help you – and if you’re interested in learning more, we’re happy to be a resource.Contact Us